3 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2018 3:16 PM by Craig Schultz

EPDM Convert Files to pdf, individual sheets, and name sheets

Sean Flanagan

This my first post. I am an EPDM admin. We currently have our ECN/Spec workflow set up so that when a CAD drawing is issued, it is converted to a pdf and saved to a specific folder location depending on certain variables and parameters. The pdf is then issued and people are notified etc..

This is all well and good but the issue is that our drawings have multiple sheets, one for each part number and we would like to be able to have separate drawings for each part number.. Each part is separate configuration of the same part (Think pipes in different sizes/lengths), so it is not practical to have the CAD drawings be one part per drawing since we use design tables etc.

I am aware there is a setting in EPDM task to print one pdf output file per sheet, and I tried that and it worked, BUT What I am really looking for is a way to automatically name each sheet by its part number, rather than the document number. The part number is a Solidworks property that lives also in the data card. Is there an add-in or a code to name files based on part configuration properties? We are running 2017 SP2, but will be upgrading to 2018 shortly.

Hopefully you will understand my question as it is difficult to explain.

Thanks

-Sean

• Re: EPDM Convert Files to pdf, individual sheets, and name sheets
          Craig Schultz

There is a an output variable you can add in for "configuration name" in 2018.  I believe it's new to 2018.

Capture.PNG

Sean Flanagan

The solution you provided is the way to change the output folder location, but I am looking to have the filename or Document Number to be a variable called SAPNumber, which is unique for each part. So your solution would create a new folder Im guessing for each part number which is not really what I am looking for.

Regards,

-Sean

Craig Schultz

No, it would create a PDF named after the configuration name. It doesn't create a new folder..... That's the location and naming convention you choose.  You can have it create whatever folders/name you want based on the variables you have populated.

I only showed a screenshot of what I have because when I go to do a snippit, the selection disappears.  You can also have the PDF named after a variable.  So you could pull that info from your drawing, but you didn't mention that you had the SAPNumber variable in your first post.  I was just giving you a quick and dirty solution if you didn't have a variable.  You do, so you should be able to set it up to print out individual sheets based on the variable or the configuration name.

I don't remember what all was available in 2017 since we moved to PDM '18 right away.  There are new options for PDF/step/iges outputs.

Now personally if I dealt with configurations I'd set up one part file with all the configurations, then have separate drawings for each configuration.  Reasons being:  1) I wouldn't want to open a drawing with a metric s#!+ ton of sheets on it for a simple part.  2) whenever you triggered the PDF creating it would go through every sheet.  3) I wouldn't want to rename every sheet after the configuration.  Why not just have a single sheet that references the part and draw your metadata out of the drawing for your PDF naming?

I tested it out and the file names do follow the sheet names when creating the PDFs.  There are some other workarounds I got to work but I didn't want to jack up my file cards  beyond the point of no return.