6 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2018 1:44 AM by Matt Thomas

Multi-wall

Matt Thomas

20180514_181456.jpg

ok, the above photo shows my newest assignment. Here is my question. If i am removing the uppermost face, then why does it ask for a 0.025in thickness?

I just want to make sure im not missing why the 0.025 thickness is there.

oh, and what told SW to make the bottle hollow? i thought all models were solid?

thank you very much all:)

• Re: Multi-wall
          Deepak Gupta

0.025 thickness is for rest of the bottle body and 0.050 is for the threaded area/face.

Matt Thomas

Ok, let me make sure i understand this. First, the sketch profile for the bottle was drawn by the author, we just open this one and finish off the rest of the details.

Ok, so the top face that i selected to be removed, does the rest of the bottle body connect to that face? what i am trying to understand is how is that geometric top face related to the rest of the bottle body so that when i type in 0.025 inches, it sets the thickness of the bottle to that?

I do see now how selecting the side profile sets the drinking rim to be 0.50 inches.

Thank you for the explanation. I appreciate it:)

Walter Fetsch

When you create a shell, you start with a solid blob and SW removes as much material as necessary from the inside to cause the walls to be the assigned thickness, in this case .025".  When you remove a face, in this case the top, SW creates an opening instead of a wall with a thickness.  There is no connection between the .025 entry and the top face selection.  The software makes it look like they're related, but they are not.  The .050 thickness allows you to have part of the model be of a different thickness, so the wall you select will be .050 thick instead of .025.  Does that help?

Matt Thomas

Oh, that actually makes sense.

It's kind of like 3 functions in one:

First, a thickness for the first wall is created (0.025 in)

Second, a face is removed to make it hallow(shell)

Third, a second wall is selected and desired thickness is set.

That makes sense.

Thank you. I appreciate that.

Deepak Gupta

Matt Thomas wrote:

Second, a face is removed to make it hallow(shell)

Third, a second wall is selected and desired thickness is set.

These two are optional i.e. if you do not select any face, no face would be removed. And if you do not select a face for different thickness, then all faces would have same thickness.

I would also like to add that you can define different thickness for each selected face via mutli-thickness setting.

Also if you need thickness to be added on outer side, then use this option.