3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2018 7:27 AM by Shad Thomas

Visualize 2018 PowerBoost Setup

Paulius Jatautas

Just installed Powerboost to a colleagues pc (8 cores @ 3500 with M4000 GPU) on the work network. Everything seems to be working, but I did not expect this...

WITHOUT Powerboost its faster. What could be wrong? Network?

3.PNG2.PNG1.PNG

• Re: Visualize 2018 PowerBoost Setup
          Shad Thomas

Ah yes. This old chestnut. When rendering out using the power boost, the software will not include the "home" computer that you are working on. It will only render on the networked computer(s). It does this so that it doesn't slow down your computer and allows you to continue working. I've asked that they change this, however I haven't heard anything as of yet.

The biggest benefit I found to using power boost is during setup. When setting up a rendering, power boost uses resources from all of the computers, so it speeds up the preview process tremendously.

Paulius Jatautas

My PC and Boost PC have the same specs. Why is it that much slower then? This does not make any sense and now I am sad...

Please tell me that it is at least using both (my PC and Boost PC) when I do the final render using Queue and chose the Boost option?

1.PNG

Shad Thomas

As far as I know, through personal experience, rendering through power boost on exact same computers is slower than rendering on the host computer. The only way it seems to be faster is if the cloud computer(s) is more powerful or greater in number. In other words, I used to have a laptop as my primary CAD computer. I then took a backup computer from our IT department, with the exact same stats and loaded power boost up. My previews were double the speed (as expected). Rendering times were faster on the host computer than they were on the power boost slave computer (not as expected). I'm guessing it has to do with the network or something of that nature. In the end, I ended up getting a desktop computer as my primary CAD system with 2 NVIDEA Quadro M4000 cards. Now I have no need for for the power boost, but I do love the queue!

I can't honestly answer the question about the queue. I believe, based on information from my VAR, that power boost always uses the cloud computers and not the host, except during preview. Power boost seems to be designed to free up your host computer resources so that you can do other things. In my personal opinion, this is a great feature, though they should give us the option to include the host computer in the mix as well.