39 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2018 12:13 PM by Jacob Corder

EPDM Prestate Transition File Check and Variable Update

Adon Nicholls

Hi All,

I am currently making a automated check for when we up-rev parts etc. through the system.

I have attempted a Pre-state hook but I can't get it to work. What i should do is when a transition is done it runs a case - '1080' which equates to the 'ChangeNoteChecker' class. This is followed by a  load of generated functions it seemed to create after I put the hook which I havn't touched.

In the 'ChangeNoteChecker' class it should check for a location of files. In my code below it is a pdf file. When it verifies that one is there it should check out the data card file. update a checkbox variable and check it and then check the file back in and proceed with the transition.

As it is it doesn't even check the file out or give an error so I don't know what is going on.

I get one error if I leave the first message box un-commented out on the Pre-state Hook class under the add hook line which says it does not fall within expected range?

Also MRP Checker has no real code id just open and close class for the moment.

• Re: EPDM Prestate Transition File Check and Variable Update
          Lee CS Young

There's no id when creating hooks. Id's are for menu commands so you know what command was called.

Hooks should be; poCmdMgr.AddHook(EdmCmdType.EdmCmd_PreState).

Adon Nicholls

Hi Guys,

I tried it out and now I get this error when I run the transition. Any clues?

Thanks for the help so far.

Jacob Corder

take a screenshot of your references in the project properties please. 

your no interface error i have seen before i need to know the references and how your project is setup.

Jacob Corder

check your registry, do you have this key?

Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{AAFEA179-C9AE-4032-81C4-2AFCAA67B81A}\TypeLib

Jacob Corder

ok. i got it..

MPOExtra is a IEDMCMDNode on PreTransition

2018 SOLIDWORKS API Help - EdmCmdData Structure

you will have to get the ConfigList from the file

2018 SOLIDWORKS API Help - GetConfigurations Method (IEdmFile5)

Jacob Corder

change it here.  the EDMCMDData structure changes with every dang callback..  i find it annoying personally. but it is what it is.

Adon Nicholls

I still get the same error unfortunately.

Adon Nicholls

I also tried this but it still gave the same error.

Adon Nicholls

Is it because I need to change stuff in this aswell?

Jacob Corder

No you didn't remove the part that is erroring out.

You need to have safer code.  When dealing with objects that have unknown types, you need to use methods like TRYCAST OR typeof 

DIM CONFIGS AS IEDMSTRLIST5= NOTHING

IF TYPEOF MPOEXTRA IS IEDMSTRLIST5 THEN

CONFIGLIST = MPOEXTRA

ELSE

CONFIGLIST = VFILE.GETCONFIGURATIONS

END IF

Adon Nicholls

Hi Jacob,

I tried doing this but it gave the error once more my code looks like:

Try

'''''

Dim vfileEnumvars As IEdmEnumeratorVariable5 = poCmd.mpoExtra

Dim Config As String

Dim cfgList As EdmStrLst5 = Nothing

cfgList = vFile.GetConfigurations

If TypeOf mpoextra Is IEdmStrLst5 Then

cfgList = mpoExtra

Else

Config = vFile.GetConfigurations

End If

Followed by all the bits that check out the file, change the variable and then check it back in and then this as a function at the end.

Private Function IsConfigInList(ByVal cfglist As IEdmStrLst5, ByVal ConfigName As String) As Boolean

IsConfigInList = False

Try

Dim CurConfig As String

Dim Pos As IEdmPos5 = cfglist.GetHeadPosition()

While Not Pos.IsNull

CurConfig = cfglist.GetNext(Pos)

If CurConfig = ConfigName Then

IsConfigInList = True

Exit While

End If

End While

Return IsConfigInList

Catch ex As Runtime.InteropServices.COMException

MsgBox("HRESULT = 0x" + ex.ErrorCode.ToString("X") + vbCrLf + ex.Message)

Catch ex As Exception

MsgBox(ex.Message)

End Try

End Function

End Class

Adon Nicholls

I've changed Config to cfglist in the else and in the set var

Adon Nicholls

It doesn't throw an error anymore but doesn't do anything else when the transition happens not even check out the file.  I've commented out the unlock file and the set variable to find the problem.

Jacob Corder

your code is still wrong.

do this

Private Function VerifyEPDMConfigExists(ByVal VFile As IEdmFile8, ByVal poCmd As EdmCmdData, ByVal ConfigName As String) As Boolean

Dim cfgList As IEdmStrLst5 = Nothing

Try

If TypeOf poCmd.mpoExtra Is IEdmStrLst5 Then

cfgList = poCmd.mpoExtra

Else

cfgList = VFile.GetConfigurations

End If

Catch ex As Exception

End Try

Return IsConfigInList(cfgList, ConfigName)

End Function

Private Function IsConfigInList(ByVal cfglist As IEdmStrLst5, ByVal ConfigName As String) As Boolean

If cfglist Is Nothing Then Return False

If Len(Trim(ConfigName)) = 0 Then Return False

Try

Dim CurConfig As String

While Not Pos.IsNull

Return True

End If

End While

Catch ex As Exception

MsgBox(ex.Message)

End Try

Return False

End Function

Jacob Corder

so i dont know if you can check out a file in PreStateChange.

i think you need to cancel the state change. 

certain things can and cant be done during certain hook types

2018 SOLIDWORKS API Help - mbCancel Field

So the file being transitioned cannot be checked out. Someone else may verify that this is true or false but i dont think you can.

you can however check out files that are NOT in the list of files that are trying to be state changed.

i am not 100% sure of this by the way but i do know you cant do whatever you want at any state change.

if you need to cancel the transition, then launch a form that allows the user to click a button that continues the operation.

setting cancel cancels the transition of ALL files that are trying to be transitioned.. dumb i know but it is what it is.

Jacob Corder

you might be able to execute this code on POST state change.  try that

Adon Nicholls

Thanks for all the help, I know it must be quite frustrating.

I have changed the hook to a post state hook

This is the code I have now of the change checker class. At the moment it throws no error but also does not seem to run the processes e.g. check out file, write variable and then check in the file.

Imports EdmLib

Imports System.Windows.Forms

Imports System.IO

Imports Microsoft.Office.Interop

Imports Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word

Imports System

Imports System.Drawing

Imports System.Data

Imports System.Collections.Generic

Imports Microsoft.VisualBasic

Public Class ChangeNoteChecker

Public AffectedFile As EdmCmdData

Public mpoExtra As System.Object

Dim v As IEdmVault5

Dim vfileID As Integer

Dim vFile As IEdmFile5

Dim vfileEnumvars As IEdmEnumeratorVariable5

Dim vFolder As IEdmFolder5

Private Function VerifyEPDMConfigExists(ByVal VFile As IEdmFile8, ByVal poCmd As EdmCmdData, ByVal ConfigName As String) As Boolean

Try

cfgList = poCmd.mpoExtra

Else

End If

Catch ex As Exception

End Try

End Function

Friend Sub New(ByRef poCmd As EdmLib.EdmCmd, ByRef ppoData As System.Array)

v = poCmd.mpoVault

vfileID = ppoData(0).mlobjectId1

vFile = v.GetObject(EdmObjectType.EdmObject_File, vfileID)

vfileEnumvars = vFile.GetEnumeratorVariable

vFolder = v.GetFolderFromPath(v.RootFolderPath & "\Engineering\Design\Change Managements 2")

''''''' Card Variables Used'''''''

Dim EC0Number As String = ""

Dim PartNumber As String = ""

Dim Revision As String = ""

Dim ChangenoteRev As Integer            ''''''''' epdm checkbox'''''''''''''

Dim ChangenotePDF As Integer

Dim ChangenoteDevRelease As Integer

Dim ChangenoteDXF As Integer

Dim WIP As String = ""

Dim STOCK As String = ""

Dim FIELD As String = ""

Dim FileNamePDF As String = PartNumber & "-" & Revision & ".pdf"

Dim FileNameEC As String = EC0Number & ".CN2.cvd"

vfileEnumvars.GetVar("Number", "", EC0Number)

vfileEnumvars.GetVar("Part Number", "", PartNumber)

vfileEnumvars.GetVar("Revision", "", Revision)

vfileEnumvars.GetVar("CN_Rev", "", ChangenoteRev)

vfileEnumvars.GetVar("CN_DevRelease", "", ChangenoteDevRelease)

vfileEnumvars.GetVar("CN_PDF", "", ChangenotePDF)

vfileEnumvars.GetVar("CN_DXF", "", ChangenoteDXF)

vfileEnumvars.GetVar("CN_WIP", "", WIP)

vfileEnumvars.GetVar("CN_STOCK", "", STOCK)

vfileEnumvars.GetVar("CN_FIELD", "", FIELD)

''''''Find PDFs'''''''''''''

Try

'Dim vfileEnumvars As IEdmEnumeratorVariable5 = poCmd.mpoExtra

If AffectedFile.mbsStrData2 = "Change Note Design Approval" Then

vFile.closefile(False)

Dim FileDirectory As String() = Directory.GetFiles("\\Network\GILO-TS-1\123 Folders\Drawings\")

For Each FoundFile In FileDirectory

'If (System.IO.File.Exists("\\Network\GILO-TS-1\123 Folders\Drawings\" & FileNamePDF)) Then

If (System.IO.File.Exists("C:\Rotron_Vault_Test2\Engineering\Design\Change Managements 2" & FileNamePDF)) Then

ChangenotePDF = 1

v = poCmd.mpoVault

vFile = v.GetFileFromPath("C:\Rotron_Vault_Test2\Engineering\Design\Change Managements 2" & FileNameEC)

Dim pos As IEdmPos5

pos = vFolder.GetFirstFilePosition

If Not vFile.IsLocked Then

Try

vFile.LockFile(vFolder.ID, "", CInt(EdmLockFlag.EdmLock_Simple))

Catch ex As Exception

MsgBox(ex.Message)

End Try

End If

vfileEnumvars.SetVar("CN_PDF", "", 1)

vFile.CloseFile(True)

vFile.UnlockFile(vFolder.ID, "", CInt(EdmLockFlag.EdmLock_Simple))

End If

Next

End If

Catch ex As Exception

MessageBox.Show(ex.Message)

End Try

End Sub

Try

Dim CurConfig As String

While Not Pos.IsNull

Return True

End If

End While

Catch ex As Exception

MsgBox(ex.Message)

End Try

Return False

End Function

End Class

Jacob Corder

still wrong.

you  have to use the intelisense.

you cannot call VFile.CloseFile(false)  VFile is IEDMFile8

you mean VFileEnumVars.CloseFile(False)

Verify the method exists before you just use it. 

Jacob Corder

turn Option Strict on so you can see what is going on.

you should not use an integer in a byref call

Dim ChangenoteRev As STRING''''''''' epdm checkbox'''''''''''''

Dim ChangenotePDF As STRING

Dim ChangenoteDevRelease As STRING

Dim ChangenoteDXF As STRING

Dim WIP As String = ""

Dim STOCK As String = ""

Dim FIELD As String = ""

Change top Declaration

Dim vfileEnumvars As IEdmEnumeratorVariable5

to

Dim vfileEnumvars As IEdmEnumeratorVariable8

change

Dim vFile As IEdmFile5

to the latest one you can like

Dim vFile As IEdmFile10

there is a lot wrong here bud.  its not working because your code is setting the fileNamePDF to part number and rev but they havent been set to anything yet.

try this code out

Dim v As IEdmVault5

Dim vfileID As Integer

Dim vFile As IEdmFile10

Dim vFolder As IEdmFolder8

Try

cfgList = poCmd.mpoExtra

Else

End If

Catch ex As Exception

End Try

End Function

If ppoData Is Nothing Then Exit Sub

If TypeOf ppoData(0) Is EdmCmdData Then

AffectedFile = ppoData(0)

Else

Exit Sub

End If

v = poCmd.mpoVault

vFolder = v.GetFolderFromPath(v.RootFolderPath & "\Engineering\Design\Change Managements 2")

Dim ChangenoteRev As String = ""      ''''''''' epdm checkbox'''''''''''''

Dim ChangenotePDF As String = ""

Dim ChangenoteDevRelease As String = ""

Dim ChangenoteDXF As String = ""

Dim WIP As String = ""

Dim STOCK As String = ""

Dim FIELD As String = ""

Dim vfileEnumvars As IEdmEnumeratorVariable8 = vFile.GetEnumeratorVariable

If Not vfileEnumvars Is Nothing Then

Try

Catch ex As Exception

Finally

vfileEnumvars.CloseFile(False)

vfileEnumvars = Nothing

End Try

End If

Try

'If (System.IO.File.Exists("\\Network\GILO-TS-1\123 Folders\Drawings\" & FileNamePDF)) Then

'BE CAREFUL USING SYSTEM.IO.FILE.EXISTS as if the file doesnt exist on the local computer, it will return false even if it is in EPDM

'If (System.IO.File.Exists("C:\Rotron_Vault_Test2\Engineering\Design\Change Managements 2\" & FileNamePDF)) Then

ChangenotePDF = 1

vFile = v.GetFileFromPath("C:\Rotron_Vault_Test2\Engineering\Design\Change Managements 2\" & FileNameEC)

'V FILE IS NOW ECO NUMBER.CN2.CVD CORRECT. THIS IS THE FILE YOU WANT TO CHECK OUT?

If Not vFile Is Nothing Then

Dim pos As IEdmPos5

If Not vFile.IsLocked Then

Try

Catch ex As Exception

MsgBox(ex.Message)

End Try

End If

vfileEnumvars.SetVar("CN_PDF", "", 1)

vfileEnumvars.CloseFile(True)

vFile.UnlockFile(vFolder.ID, "", CInt(EdmLockFlag.EdmLock_Simple))

End If

'End If

Catch ex As Exception

End Try

End If

End Sub

Try

Dim CurConfig As String

While Not Pos.IsNull

Return True

End If

End While

Catch ex As Exception

MsgBox(ex.Message)

End Try

Return False

End Function

Jacob Corder

'If (System.IO.File.Exists("C:\Rotron_Vault_Test2\Engineering\Design\Change Managements 2\" & FileNamePDF)) Then

ChangenotePDF = 1

vFile = v.GetFileFromPath("C:\Rotron_Vault_Test2\Engineering\Design\Change Managements 2\" & FileNameEC)

you were checking if a PDF exists then getting the FileNameEC file from the vault.

but it was "Change Managements 2 " & FilenameEC" as the actual file name.   If that is correct remove the RED \ above

Adon Nicholls

Thank you for noticing the errors

I've changed them and then am tring to run it as a poststate and just check the file out although still with no luck

heres what i have now:

Public Class ChangeNoteChecker

Dim v As IEdmVault5

Dim vfileID As Integer

Dim vFile As IEdmFile5

Public vfileEnumvars As IEdmEnumeratorVariable8

Dim vFolder As IEdmFolder5

v = poCmd.mpoVault

Dim ChangenoteRev As String = ""   '      ''''''''' epdm checkbox'''''''''''''

Dim ChangenotePDF As String = ""

Dim ChangenoteDevRelease As String = "" '

Dim ChangenoteDXF As String = "" '

Dim WIP As String = ""

Dim STOCK As String = ""

Dim FIELD As String = ""

Try

'Dim FileDirectory As String() = Directory.GetFiles("\\Network\GILO-TS-1\123 Folders\Drawings\")

'For Each FoundFile In FileDirectory

If (System.IO.File.Exists("C:\Rotron_Vault_Test2\Engineering\Design\Change Managements 2\" & FileNamePDF)) Then

ChangenotePDF = 1

v = poCmd.mpoVault

Dim pos As IEdmPos5

If Not vFile.IsLocked Then  '

Try

Catch ex As Exception

MsgBox(ex.Message)

End Try

End If

'  Dim vfileEnumvars As IEdmEnumeratorVariable8 = vFile.GetEnumeratorVariable

'  vfileEnumvars.CloseFile(False)

'  vfileEnumvars.GetVar("CN_PDF", "", ChangenotePDF)

' vfileEnumvars.SetVar("CN_PDF", String.Empty, 1)

'vfileEnumvars.CloseFile(True)

'vFile.UnlockFile(vFolder.ID, "", CInt(EdmLockFlag.EdmLock_Simple))

End If

'Next

End If

Catch ex As Exception

End Try

End Sub

Adon Nicholls

Dim FileDirectory As String() = Directory.GetFiles("C:\Rotron_Vault_Test2\Engineering\Design\Change Managements 2")

Added this line

Jacob Corder

you need to debug this live. it will tell you what your missing and at what line and why.

using Directory.Getfiles will not always work fyi.

set project startup

add the compiled DLL into EPDM

click add Add-In.

find your dLL it will give you some bs error like always.

then KILL windows explorer,  then hit debug in visual studio.

Adon Nicholls

Hey again,

I tried this, put the file through the transition but no error showed up. I stopped it and got this at the bottom

'explorer.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: DefaultDomain): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_64\mscorlib\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\mscorlib.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.

'explorer.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: DefaultDomain): Loaded 'C:\Users\NichollsA\AppData\Local\SOLIDWORKS\SOLIDWORKS PDM\Plugins\Rotron_Vault_Test2\{FC1DDC85-8AB5-3D1E-BEFF-890BBE3684C4}222\Change Note Checker.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'explorer.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: DefaultDomain): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.VisualBasic\v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.

'explorer.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: DefaultDomain): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.

'explorer.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: DefaultDomain): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Core\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Core.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.

'explorer.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: DefaultDomain): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Windows.Forms\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Windows.Forms.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.

'explorer.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: DefaultDomain): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Drawing\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Drawing.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.

The program '[9736] explorer.exe' has exited with code -1 (0xffffffff).

Jacob Corder

why are you implementing all of the EPDM Objects up top?

i understand you need to implement IEDMADDIN5 but the others are odd. unless something new is required.

Ulf Stockburger

Hi Adon

I don't want to be rude, but I suggest the following: Learn the basics and create an add-in that doesn't do anything else as implement and catch a hook. Do not extend the add-in until the existing functions work reliably and error handling is implemented.

Last but not least, make it as easy as possible for those who want to help you. E.g. insert the source code as text, not as images.

BiI SAP-PDM

Adon Nicholls

Hi Ulf,

I wouldn't know where to learn the basics. I've come into a design engineer job with little coding experience and only in C, was then asked to learn this on my own and have tried to use these forums although most of the stuff is out of my league and the solidworks api websites which I can't make hide nor hair of really.

The other API's I've done worked by using buttons or the explorer tools menu in pdm and never threw errors like this. Again I looked for a week or two and no one had done a transitional hook that I could find.as an example or jumping off point.

How do I upload the code as a class file or project or? I thought images would help as people can read it without loading everything up especially as visual studio doesn't give the error itself?

Kind rRegards,

Adon