70 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2018 8:58 AM by Tony Tieuli

Follow-up to Top Ten and ONE and TWO from SWW2018

Dennis Dohogne

Rick Becker and I had the pleasure to attend SWWorld2018 this year.  I had only been to one other in Orlando in 2013.  Wow!  What a great event!  The people you meet, the sessions with great content, the speakers from SWX and from outside the company.  All I can say is it is well worth the expense.  Put it under education in your expense report because you will learn so much!!

And the people you meet - at the meals, the sessions, the events!  I finally got to meet Deepak Gupta, Michael Lord, Todd Blacksher, and Shaodun Lin, usually by just bumping into them at a session or in line somewhere.  All just as nice a bunch of guys as you would expect!

On to the point of this post. . .

Rick and I both attended the breakout session on Wednesday afternoon that was discussing the Top Ten for this year.  Since there was a voting anomaly this year with half the top ten going to SWX Electrical they listed the full top ten and then listed the next five top vote getters that were for the core functionality of SWX.  I know that Rick took photos so I'll leave it to him to post those.

The whole of the Top Ten list is a means to drive activity for generating good ideas and supporting discussion for improving the software.  All the ideas are carefully considered for future implementation, regardless of their final vote count.  It is the supporting discussion of these ideas that proves to be extremely valuable as that often provides much better definition of the ideas.  So, keep it up everyone!

Bruce Holway led the session and in addition to the Top Ten he went on to discuss the infamous ONE and TWO.  This issue from last year's Top Ten list has grabbed SWX by the short hairs.  This year they added the voting slider:

Top Ten Slider Vote.jpg

This was done so they could more actively get everyone's vote as to where they should direct their efforts and to avoid having to use two of the slots in the Top Ten for non-feature improvements.  The votes covered a very broad range, but in the end Increase Reliability was the dominant direction with 43%:

Top Ten Slider Vote Results.jpg

==>Edit:  The weight on improving the quality is even higher than the 43% shown for Reliability as they admitted a lot of the comments indicated a persons vote for Performance was directed at eliminating bugs and crashes.  They didn't provide a number, but I would conservatively estimate this puts the issue of "quality" above the 50% mark.  Quite a strong statement.

==>End Edit

Then John Sweeney talked about how the software development groups have shifted their efforts with an unprecedented amount of their resources dedicated to "quality" (improving reliability).  They have employed new tools that are helping them to better identify where problems are which is helping them to better address them.  A lot of these efforts are going into SWX2019 since that is in active development right now, but they have "back-ported" a lot of these fixes into SP1.0 of SWX2018 and other 2018 SP's.  Cool!  They are seeing big improvements as indicated by the data in the SOLIDWORKS Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP).

If you have not already signed up for this then YOU NEED TO DO SO!  There is NO DOWNSIDE to participating!!  No slow-downs occur by doing this versus not doing it.  No proprietary information is transmitted.  It is completely safe from every angle.  Go to System Options - General and go to the bottom and check the box:

If you aren't convinced by my plea then click on the Tell me more. and read that.  THIS IS GOOD FOR YOU!  It sends information to SWX when you have a crash and they have been able to extract a lot of meaning from this data that helps to identify problems.  You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Bruce and John are good sports, as we have found all the guys on the development team have been.  Rick and I had a couple of hats made 1 AND 2  and we got pictures of different folks wearing them.  I'll post mine on that thread, but here are two in particular that I'm happy with:

1 and 2 SWW-2.jpg

The top picture is Bruce during the Top Ten session.  The bottom picture is John Sweeney, Jim Wilkinson, Graham Rae, someone who's name escapes me, but he's deeply involved with the quality issues, Bruce, and Richard Doyle.  Not only were they not embarrassed by the ONE and TWO hats, but Rick and I gave these hats to them to take back to Waltham and use them with their team to keep the issue of improving the quality of the software front and center.  We probably could have made more hats and sold them!!

Bruce also discussed improvements they are making to the Enhancement Request system.  They know we hate it and don't use it much.  They have been looking for a system to purchase to better handle the ER's, but none of them have the features they want so they are developing their own.  It will have much more of the feel of the forum and be far easier to use.

I came away from that session with even more optimism about the reliability of the software than I had gained in the last couple of months.  But I reminded them that we would be holding them to task.  "We expect you to" was their response.  We should all be holding them to task, BUT I feel we have a responsibility to help them by participating in the CEIP and by sending in problem reports with as much description as possible to help them understand, identify, and fix the problems we encounter.

One last, very important point I want to make about this session, ONE and TWO has gotten a lot of attention at SWX corporate, A LOT OF ATTENTION.  The CEO of SOLIDWORKS, Gain Paolo Bassi, came into this session and addressed the group specifically on the ONE and TWO issue.  I was blown away that he was able to speak with such deep knowledge of the situation.  I later learned that he was quite the programmer in his day so this subject is actually very personal to him.

With all of that, I have good reason to be optimistic and to expect great things from SWX!!  But, I will most certainly hold them to task.

• Re: Follow-up to Top Ten and ONE and TWO from SWW2018
          Glenn Schroeder

Thank you for the report.  I'm especially pleased to hear there are plans to revamp the ER system.

Dan Pihlaja

Very good info!   Thanks for the update Dennis!

Jim Wilkinson

It was a pleasure to see Dennis and Rick in person again. We followed up the session with a sit down for an adult beverage with Rick and Dennis and 5 of the 6 individuals in the photo above (Richard had other duties at the time). It is always great to catch up on things in a more casual setting. The "unnamed" individual is Scott Sanson who leads our Quality Assurance team.

And thanks guys for the hat...I will be sure to wear it any time I go down to "beat up" the developers

Thanks,

Jim

Dennis Dohogne

Jim Wilkinson wrote:

It was a pleasure to see Dennis and Rick in person again. We followed up the session with a sit down for an adult beverage with Rick and Dennis and 5 of the 6 individuals in the photo above (Richard had other duties at the time). It is always great to catch up on things in a more casual setting. The "unnamed" individual is Scott Sanson who leads our Quality Assurance team.

And thanks guys for the hat...I will be sure to wear it any time I go down to "beat up" the developers

Thanks,

Jim

I see you have even changed your avatar to show you wearing the hat!!

John Matrishon

Was good to meet you Dennis!  Wish we had more time to talk than just lunch!  I know there's a pic of me with that floating around somewhere....

JM

Marcus Dimarco

"Put it under education in your expense report because you will learn so much!!"

Ahh it makes sense now who is actually going to Solidworks world.  I doubt any employer would pay to send an employee to this event so I couldn't quite wrap my head around who is actually going.  Looks like those that do go are running their own small business and using it as a business expense for a tax write-off.  Makes sense now.

Kevin Chandler

Yes, thank you for filling us in. It keeps the spirit lifted knowing that substance is important.

Cheers,

Kevin

Tony Tieuli

Thanks for the update Dennis.

It's good to know we're heard in Waltham.

Nate Andrews

Dennis, that was a great recap of the session.
                          I was also there, and thought that it was a good sign to see Gian Pallo addressing the issues as well with Bruce and John. I also liked hearing the background on how they address crashes- to anyone who was not there, make sure you are participating in the customer experience program, as Dennis shows above!

I've been using SolidWorks since 2000, but my current IT guy at my company is trying to get us to switch to another program that "doesn't crash so much". He doesn't really have a say in that decision right now, but someday he could. This sort of thing coming from someone that doesn't really understand our tools is troubling, which is why I'm happy to hear the resources and commitment from SolidWorks in addressing the issue.

Mark Biasotti

Thank you Denis and Rick for the tremendous efforts you've made to hold SW Product Def's "feet to the fire".  SW Quality has become an issue for my organization and it painful to "eat my own dog food". The proof of all your effort is in how few new features have been touted for SW2019 - the efforts must be going to 1 and 2.

FYI - just submitted an SR yesterday to my VAR.

Mark

Shaodun Lin

Thank you  Dennis for the great post, it is really nice to meet you in person during this important breakout session in SWW18.

Dave Bear

Absolutely awesome feedback Dennis!

Dave.

Edward Poole

Thanks for keeping on this Dennis, I hope to meet you next year in Dallas at SWW2019!

David Mandl

Dennis Dohogne wrote:

We should all be holding them to task, BUT I feel we have a responsibility to help them by participating in the CEIP and by sending in problem reports with as much description as possible to help them understand, identify, and fix the problems we encounter.

↑ If we take nothing else away from this entire ongoing topic, it should be this sentence.  ↑

Holding someone else to task is, in effect, something that you buy.  It comes at a cost:  the price that you pay is your willingness to be an active participant.  Don't be the guy who wants something better, but avoids helping to define the problems or propose solutions.  (Written vaguely so that phrase can apply elsewhere in our professional lives)

Alex Lachance

Reading about SWW on here makes me want to go so much next year.

I'll probably end up harrassing my boss about it until he grants it to me. Let's cross fingers

Kevin Chandler

Hello Dennis Dohogne,

A question on the number of respondents in the screen shot: Does SW consider 680 to be a good turnout?

680 seems low to me, especially considering the number forum members is over 46K (plus the even higher number of licensees).

680 doesn't seem statistically significant (even though there may be little else to go on for this).

Just curious,

Kevin

Dennis Dohogne

Kevin Chandler wrote:

Hello Dennis Dohogne,

A question on the number of respondents in the screen shot: Does SW consider 680 to be a good turnout?

680 seems low to me, especially considering the number forum members is over 46K (plus the even higher number of licensees).

680 doesn't seem statistically significant (even though there may be little else to go on for this).

Just curious,

Kevin

Kevin, it is interesting you bring this up.  Rick Becker made a point at the session that we also think this is a low number and that SWX and their VARs need to do more to promote the Top Ten idea list and voting.  We want it expanded.  Not everyone is on subscription so they don't get to vote, I'm not sure if they can even see or add ideas to the list.  There are a lot of creative and willing-to-contribute folks out there that a) aren't on subscription, or b) don't participate in the forum.  That is opportunity lost as far as we're concerned.  "A good idea is a good idea regardless of its source." -Me

Rick beat on them a bit to open up the Top Ten list and to promote it much more than has been done.  The audience was in full agreement with that sentiment so maybe the guys from SWX** took note.

**The back of the room was lined with a bunch of guys from SWX corporate.  I think they were very interested in everyone's reaction to the information Bruce and John presented and to the discussions that followed.  Good.

Rick McDonald

I was surprised this year that I WAS able to vote since I am not currently on Subscription.

This makes me think you can vote (if you can find the link to get to the "Top Ten") but you can not create a new idea.

I do agree that the turnout of votes was much lower than I expected.  I only knew about the voting and Idea submission because of the forum and that I had done both the year before.  I never got any emails (outside of the Forum ones) or saw anything about it outside the forum.

I have my Linked-In Account that sends me current things about Solidworks but didn't see anything from there either.

Too bad we can't do a Top Ten Idea during the rest of the year - if we could, we could vote on better promotion of the year end Top Ten.

Dennis Dohogne

Rick McDonald wrote:

Too bad we can't do a Top Ten Idea during the rest of the year - if we could, we could vote on better promotion of the year end Top Ten.

Rick, as Bruce was explaining their ideas for revamping the ER system and its tie-in to the Top Ten he did mention they were looking at expanding it, not just in scope (who is included and how it is advertised), but also that they were looking to making the Top Ten (or something like it) available for more than just the short time before SWW.

He also mentioned that they are very interested in our ideas, us forum users, on how we want this look and feel.  They are very interested in our shaping things and are paying attention to what we say here, even if they are not actively engaged in dialogue with us.  So we should all speak up!!

Francisco Martínez

If possible can we get a update on how things are going so far?

How many bugs fixed, if any work has been done on stability?

Dennis Dohogne

Francisco Martínez wrote:

If possible can we get a update on how things are going so far?

How many bugs fixed, if any work has been done on stability?

You can view the list of fixed SPRs from the Customer Portal.

I received several emails regarding issues I had reported that were fixed in SWX2018 SP2.0 and 3.0.  As far as stability goes, I must say that SP3.0 has really been solid for me.  At SWX World in February Rick and I attended a session where John Sweeney showed some terrific information regarding their efforts on improving the quality (as they call it, but we know that as "bugs").  Michael Lord in his reply to this thread on March 5 listed a link with his write-up and the photos he took of most of the slides:  https://forum.solidworks.com/external-link.jspa?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmichaellord.me%2F2018%2F03%2F05%2Fsolidworks-world-201…

I do not have any ability to quantify the improvements, but a significant thing to note is the lack of griping on this forum about stability/crashes.

Francisco Martínez

Thanks Dennis,

I will look into 2017. I do not have the ability to move to 2018 yet since I would have to update pdm standard as well. (if this is not correct, please let me know)

S. Leacox

Because of the history problems with new version of any CAD software. Most companies are not on 2018. Most are using a version one year back. This gives each group of CAD people time to customize the interface for there needs for a year and work out the bugs before using it for production.

This end client use of the software should be assumed for most of your users.

When people ask: How many are on the current version, most will answer last years version.

Looking over that top 10 list. I agree with  #1. Just ran into a huge and complete roadblock because there was no way to present a different phrase based on a numerical value.

#2 should be: Fix help. State where to find the command inside the software, not just what it can do.

Kevin Chandler

S. Leacox wrote:

Because of the history problems with new version of any CAD software. Most companies are not on 2018. Most are using a version one year back. This gives each group of CAD people time to customize the interface for there needs for a year and work out the bugs before using it for production.

When people ask: How many are on the current version, most will answer last years version.

Looking over that top 10 list. I agree with #1. Just ran into a huge and complete roadblock because there was no way to present a different phrase based on a numerical value.

#2 should be: Fix help. State where to find the command inside the software, not just what it can do.

Hello,

At the top of SW's window is a search tool where you can change the search to apply to commands and when found SW can show you where it's located on the pulldown menus...not verbiage, but it opens the menus for you.

Give it a try.

Cheers,

Kevin

S. Leacox

Your suggestion is like the help, how do I do that? IE How do I make the change to the search system.

Kevin Chandler

S. Leacox wrote:

Your suggestion is like the help, how do I do that? IE How do I make the change to the search system.

The icon on the left end of the search tool indicates what the search term will searched on.

The icon for commands is an old school DOS prompt "C>" thing.

To change what type of search to make, drop down the list on the right end of the search bar and you'll cammands, SW help, knowledge base, etc.

Whichever is active is what's returned on the search.

When on commands, as you type, matches are suggested and when yours comes up you can select to run it directly or have SW show where it is on the menu.

2018 SOLIDWORKS Help - Searching for Help, Commands, and Files

Cheers,

Kevin

Todd Blacksher

Kevin Chandler wrote:

S. Leacox wrote:

The icon on the left end of the search tool indicates what the search term will searched on.

To change what type of search to make, drop down the list on the right end of the search bar and you'll cammands, SW help, knowledge base, etc.

When on commands, as you type, matches are suggested and when yours comes up you can select to run it directly or have SW show where it is on the menu.

Cheers,

Kevin

Something else that a lot of people forget about - If you hit the "S" key you will get the pop up command toolbar, BUT it also "wakes up" the command search - If I get stuck, I just hit "S" and start typing.

Alin Vargatu

Todd Blacksher wrote:

Kevin Chandler wrote:

S. Leacox wrote:

Cheers,

Kevin

Something else that a lot of people forget about - If you hit the "S" key you will get the pop up command toolbar, BUT it also "wakes up" the command search - If I get stuck, I just hit "S" and start typing.

Also "W" (default for search).

Kevin Chandler

Alin Vargatu wrote:

Todd Blacksher wrote:

Kevin Chandler wrote:

S. Leacox wrote:

Cheers,

Kevin

Also "W" (default for search).

AndAlin Vargatu Thank You for this tip as well.

Kevin Chandler

Todd Blacksher wrote:

Kevin Chandler wrote:

S. Leacox wrote:

Cheers,

Kevin

Todd Blacksher Thank You for that one. I use S regularly, but never picked up on your tip.

Another one for the Bat Belt.

Cheers,

Kevin

Tony Tieuli

Todd Blacksher wrote:

Kevin Chandler wrote:

S. Leacox wrote:

Cheers,

Kevin

I never realized that the S key woke up the command search. Thanks Todd Blacksher!

Jim Steinmeyer

S. Leacox wrote:

In case you are not clear where to look,

Untitled.png

Use the drop down to get the options. I basically have them all checked to search everywhere. The question mark drop down will give you a link to the local help. I have found good help there to be hit or miss.

Untitled.png

I followed Kevin's link from his post and there was good information on searching for help. However when I followed the link at the bottom of the page directing me to the Knowledge Base to search for "Searching for Help, commands, and files" it took me to the following options, which was pretty much of a miss.

Capture.JPG

Kevin Chandler

Jim Steinmeyer wrote:

S. Leacox wrote:

In case you are not clear where to look,

Untitled.png

Use the drop down to get the options. I basically have them all checked to search everywhere. The question mark drop down will give you a link to the local help. I have found good help there to be hit or miss.

Untitled.png

I followed Kevin's link from his post and there was good information on searching for help. However when I followed the link at the bottom of the page directing me to the Knowledge Base to search for "Searching for Help, commands, and files" it took me to the following options, which was pretty much of a miss.

Capture.JPG

The few times I've tried it, I didn't have much success with Knowledge Base, so I don't use it.

Other than help  & commands, I think Internet search engines return the best hits 'cuz you get inside & outside forum hits.

Jim Steinmeyer

Kevin Chandler wrote:

The few times I've tried it, I didn't have much success with Knowledge Base, so I don't use it.

Other than help & commands, I think Internet search engines return the best hits 'cuz you get inside & outside forum hits.

I echo that opinion 100%. Dennis tells us that he has seen the work they are doing to improve it and is hopeful. I personally do not hold much hope so anything will be a pleasant surprise to me.

Jim Wilkinson

Jim Steinmeyer wrote:

Kevin Chandler wrote:

Other than help & commands, I think Internet search engines return the best hits 'cuz you get inside & outside forum hits.

I echo that opinion 100%. Dennis tells us that he has seen the work they are doing to improve it and is hopeful. I personally do not hold much hope so anything will be a pleasant surprise to me.

For the record, the knowledge base is mostly useful when you are having problems, not for general help and "how to" questions (althought sometimes it can answer those too. It has solutions to problems/questions asked of our technical support staff and also has SPRs (bugs). The link from the help to the knowledge base is a very simple link. It takes the title of the help topic and pushes it into the search field in the knowledge base. And search is only as good as the terms put into the search, so if you click on that link from within the search topic "Searching for Help, Commands, and Files" it is going to look for matches to all of those words in the knowledge base to give results. But the problem is, that help topic is such a broad topic, even if we were to "behind the scenes" try to strategically define some other terms than the title to use for the KB search for that topic, you *still* probably wouldn't get a result that you would want. It is just too broad a topic to be able to understand what you might be looking for.

Our goals with this link in the help were to:

1. At least let people discover that the knowledge base even exist. Many users do not know of it and just about ALL users use the help, so having the link lets them discover it.
                                                                                                2. When users click on the link to the knowledge base from the help and get the results, some users will understand that if they tweak the search terms to more be more targeted to what they are looking for, then they will get better results.
                                                                                                3. There are many cases of topic titles where the results ARE actually quite good. Examples:
                                                                                                  • 2018 SOLIDWORKS Help - Mouse Gestures  - The results from this help topic gives a number of technical support articles that resulted from "how to" questions asked of technical support; more information than is give in the help. If you go beyond the first page of search results, it lists SPRs (bugs and enhancements) specifically relating to mouse gestures.
                                                                                                  • 2018 SOLIDWORKS Help - Status Bar - The results from this help topic also gives a number of articles as well as SPRs specifically related to the Status Bar.
                                                                                                  • 2018 SOLIDWORKS Help - Instant3D - The results from this help topic gives a number of SPRs and if you go a few pages in, you'll see also articles with how to questions answered. In this case, Instant3D is a very broad subject so either adding more terms to the search or using the filters on the left to further define the search will help to get more targeted results.

I just wanted to explain all this so you users know the limitations of the KB search from the help and exactly what it is doing. With this information, hopefully you can more successfully tweak the searches or filter the results to find the information you are looking for.

Thanks,

Jim

Kevin Chandler

Jim Wilkinson wrote:

Jim Steinmeyer wrote:

Kevin Chandler wrote:

For the record, the knowledge base is mostly useful when you are having problems, not for general help and "how to" questions (althought sometimes it can answer those too. It has solutions to problems/questions asked of our technical support staff and also has SPRs (bugs). The link from the help to the knowledge base is a very simple link. It takes the title of the help topic and pushes it into the search field in the knowledge base. And search is only as good as the terms put into the search, so if you click on that link from within the search topic "Searching for Help, Commands, and Files" it is going to look for matches to all of those words in the knowledge base to give results. But the problem is, that help topic is such a broad topic, even if we were to "behind the scenes" try to strategically define some other terms than the title to use for the KB search for that topic, you *still* probably wouldn't get a result that you would want. It is just too broad a topic to be able to understand what you might be looking for.

Our goals with this link in the help were to:

1. At least let people discover that the knowledge base even exist. Many users do not know of it and just about ALL users use the help, so having the link lets them discover it.
                                                                                                    2. When users click on the link to the knowledge base from the help and get the results, some users will understand that if they tweak the search terms to more be more targeted to what they are looking for, then they will get better results.
                                                                                                    3. There are many cases of topic titles where the results ARE actually quite good. Examples:
                                                                                                      • 2018 SOLIDWORKS Help - Mouse Gestures - The results from this help topic gives a number of technical support articles that resulted from "how to" questions asked of technical support; more information than is give in the help. If you go beyond the first page of search results, it lists SPRs (bugs and enhancements) specifically relating to mouse gestures.
                                                                                                      • 2018 SOLIDWORKS Help - Status Bar - The results from this help topic also gives a number of articles as well as SPRs specifically related to the Status Bar.
                                                                                                      • 2018 SOLIDWORKS Help - Instant3D - The results from this help topic gives a number of SPRs and if you go a few pages in, you'll see also articles with how to questions answered. In this case, Instant3D is a very broad subject so either adding more terms to the search or using the filters on the left to further define the search will help to get more targeted results.

I just wanted to explain all this so you users know the limitations of the KB search from the help and exactly what it is doing. With this information, hopefully you can more successfully tweak the searches or filter the results to find the information you are looking for.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Wilkinson Thank You for the added detail on the KB and for letting us know SW's value of the KB.

And, yes, I believe my disappointing KB encounters were through help links that most likely were a bit lame.

But this is also a self-fulfilling destiny for KB if SW keeps linking it poorly through help especially since it sounds like it's SW's main tool for increasing KB's exposure.

However, thanks to your explanation, you've moved the KB back onto the plate of my search choices.

Cheers,

Kevin

David Mandl

Regarding searches in the Knowledge Base and getting good results, I'll echo a comment that I made in the Hype thread:

I've have very good luck improving my search criteria by double checking in the help files and/or other documents (like What's New) to see if I'm using the correct terminology. Maybe it's just me, though, but that simple tip has gone a long way for me being happier with my search results.

I have a tendency to do poorly with specific terminology, so I struggled with the KB when I was first trying to use it.  This little tidbit did a lot for me (which was a big deal, since I was an AE at a VAR filling in on tech support at the time I realized this).

In other words, referring to things by the names given to them in the help files (Feature Manager, CommandManager, shortcut bar, etc.) goes LONG way in getting better results.

Alex Lachance

I hadn't seen Kevin Chandler's reply. That is indeed a good tip to have, one I use and try to inculcate to everyone when I have to troubleshoot problems. Most people could solve their own problems but generally use the wrong terms when doing their searches.

Jim Steinmeyer

David Mandl wrote:

Regarding searches in the Knowledge Base and getting good results, I'll echo a comment that I made in the Hype thread:

I've have very good luck improving my search criteria by double checking in the help files and/or other documents (like What's New) to see if I'm using the correct terminology. Maybe it's just me, though, but that simple tip has gone a long way for me being happier with my search results.

I have a tendency to do poorly with specific terminology, so I struggled with the KB when I was first trying to use it. This little tidbit did a lot for me (which was a big deal, since I was an AE at a VAR filling in on tech support at the time I realized this).

In other words, referring to things by the names given to them in the help files (Feature Manager, CommandManager, shortcut bar, etc.) goes LONG way in getting better results.

David,

You have me curious, so if I open a help file I double click on the file to get a corrected terminology? Or do I click in the dialogue box when initiating the search? I am sure this is also a big issue with my searches as I am seldom sure what different features of dashboards or dropdowns or what ever are called. I'm sure the terminology is second nature for the guys creating these helps, but I just know what it looks like and where to find most of it. Not what it is technically called.

David Mandl

The two things I've done the most:

1. If I see the question mark icon (such as in the feature manager for any given feature) or a help button (on any given dialog box), most of the time clicking on that will open the local help file and bring you to a highly relevant page.  Usually, I can mimic whatever terminology I see there and it helps.  (If not there, sometimes in one of the areas nearby in the expandable menus on the left side of the help window)
                                                                                                                  2. If I can't think of the name of a specific thing that's not associated with a feature manager (like the Heads-up View Toolbar, or Selection Breadcrumbs, or the Graphics Area), I'll check the "User Interface" section in the help files.  Usually doesn't take too much digging from there.

Tooltip text (what you see when you hover over stuff with your mouse) is also a big help.

Jim Steinmeyer

David Mandl wrote:

The two things I've done the most:

1. If I see the question mark icon (such as in the feature manager for any given feature) or a help button (on any given dialog box), most of the time clicking on that will open the local help file and bring you to a highly relevant page. Usually, I can mimic whatever terminology I see there and it helps. (If not there, sometimes in one of the areas nearby in the expandable menus on the left side of the help window)
                                                                                                                      2. If I can't think of the name of a specific thing that's not associated with a feature manager (like the Heads-up View Toolbar, or Selection Breadcrumbs, or the Graphics Area), I'll check the "User Interface" section in the help files. Usually doesn't take too much digging from there.

Tooltip text (what you see when you hover over stuff with your mouse) is also a big help.

You Know this might be a good addition to Glenn Schroeder's FAQ pages. Adding this and the information Jim Wilkinson posted above could prove a big help to those of us struggling with the help files. We might not have to turn to posts on the forum as much.

Deepak Gupta

Knowledge base is my first area to look for solutions when I could not find the desired result in the Help files. And I've got around 80% correct/related information from there. I've bookmarked a shortcut to the KB so that I can reach in quickly

Dennis Dohogne

S. Leacox wrote:

Looking over that top 10 list. I agree with #1. Just ran into a huge and complete roadblock because there was no way to present a different phrase based on a numerical value.

Respectfully, you are stating an opinion and have no data to support your claim.  SWX can tell by registration activations the versions their customers are using, though I doubt they would divulge that information.  MOST (as in the vast majority ~ 80-90%) of the folks I know that are on subscription have moved to SWX2018 at this point.  Others want to but cannot due to the IT overlords.

Again, respectfully, I would like to suggest you invest more time to read all of One and Two and the supporting threads.  Believe it or not there is a lot of stuff in there that is already obsolete because it has been successfully addressed, but one would have to read about it and have used the software enough to fully appreciate that.  By your own admission you have years of experience with another CAD tool, but only recently have moved to SWX.  Welcome!  And welcome to this forum, where the folks are very helpful.  Please also read this Some very important steps if you are a NEW FORUM USER.... as it will help you more quickly get great results from your questions.

It sounds like you are experiencing frustrations with your use of SWX.  What version and SP are you using?  It helps us to know that.  It also helps if you invest in learning how SWX does things.  They are probably very similar to what you are used to, but it turns out a lot of times the difficulty is in not knowing those differences.

Walter Fetsch

Strongest recommendation against trying 2017, as it has massive stability problems, tons of bugs, and loves to corrupt files.